Thursday, January 15, 2009

Jim's Go or Don't Go (TV Edition) - Monk

I had always heard great things about this show. I'm generally not a fan of hour-long TV dramas; especially mystery/crime stuff. However, one thing about Monk always tweaked my curiosity - he suffers from OCD, or Obsessive Compulsive Disorder. This is something that I have been accused of "sufferring" from, but I just call it "being tidy." A place for everything and everything has a place - that's my motto.

The series begins with ex-detective Adrian Monk (Tony Shalhoub) trying to get his job back on the San Francisco police force. After the murder of his wife, Monk suffered a breakdown that led to a five-year suspension from police work. The breakdown also led to his current condition of OCD. This is where the series derives much of it's humor - but not at the expense of people who suffer from the disorder. I can relate to Monk's need to arrange his shirts by color, vacuum his ceiling, or not be able to leave the house until all of his umbrellas are hanging in the same direction. Watching him trying to tidy up a crime scene to avoid a panic attack is hilarious to me.

But the show is not all about Monk's OCD - it's also a clever, very well-acted crime drama. The reason the police put up with Monk's strange habits is that he is very good at what he does. His condition makes him keenly aware of his surroundings and observant of things that are out of place. By solving a case, he has restored order. Tony Shalhoub is outstanding as Monk - he has created a very sympathetic and sweet character. You may remember Shalhoub as the hapless mechanic from the old NBC series Wings.

As with any mystery, you'll find yourself trying to solve the case before Monk, of course. I've only watched a few episodes, but I find it amusing that his superiors at the police department never seem believe any of Monk's theories. They are apparently oblivious that he is always right.

We are late-comers to this show - it's been on the USA Network since 2002, so we're just catching up on DVD (the best way to watch a series, I must say.) Catch new episodes while you can though - it's just been announced that the show's eighth season will be its last. I say "Go."

No comments: