Tuesday, December 15, 2009

Jim's 'Go or Don't Go' - G.I. Joe: Rise of the Cobra

If you consider your time on this earth precious, stay away from G.I Joe: The Rise of Cobra. While watching a movie, I shouldn't find myself going through a list of other things I'd rather be doing. I was ready to bail on this mess at 1 hour and 15 minutes, but Carrie talked me into sticking with it - a painful 40 more minutes. She owes me.

Once again, we have another movie based on a toy, this time the beloved action figure from my childhood. However, this G.I. Joe bares little resemblance to the G.I. Joe that I remember. "Joe" is a now multi-national team that fights for, well, I really couldn't figure who exactly who they fight for, but they seem to be the good guys at least. I guess it's just not politically correct to have a macho dude fighting for the good old U.S. of A. anymore. It may offend the "international community." I digress.

The plot, as it were, invloves a double-dealing arms dealer selling nano-mites, a super-secret weapon that can eat metal. The G.I. Joe team is sent into action to keep these nano-mites out of the wrong hands and being unleashed to destroy various cities around the globe. There is a lot of fighting, shooting, explosions, flying bodies (a LOT of flying bodies), an endless supply of weapons that make the bodies fly, weak attempts a humor, girls in leather, ninjas, shirtless guys, a cheesy love story, predictable plot turns ... yada yada. Oh yes, and my favorite line, Dennis Quaid shouting, "Release the sharks!"

Actually, I could have plugged the title of this film into my review of the Transformers sequel. The more I think about this movie, the more I dislike it. And, as with Transformers: Revenge of the Fallen, we have a inappropriate film based on a toy that was marketed to young kids. How it got a PG-13 rating is beyond me. This film had way too much profanity and violence for any 13 year old that I would be supervising.

Stay at home at play with the action figure. I say don't "Don't Go."

1 comment:

neatr_natr said...

I don't know if you saw in the background of the Cobra base, because it was submerged beneath the ice caps there were men heating the pipes in the background. Now when they were planning to put the base there was there an arguement, "Gee I Don't think we have the man power to heat the pipes (which will no doubt freeze from the cold) but I don't want to compromise the secret location." It seems they decided they did have the manpower and decided everyone could just share shifts heating the pipes. As not to lose the element of surprise. SURPRISE BET YOU THOUGHT WE'D BE DUMB ENOUGH TO PUT A BASE DOWN HERE, WELL GUESS WHAT WE ARE!