Monday, November 9, 2009

Jim's "Go or Don't Go" - Transformers 2

Transformers 2: Revenge of the Fallen reminded me of Jurassic Park III. You would think that more and bigger dinosaurs, and more people being eaten by these same dinosaurs, would be better than any previous Jurassic Park movie, but no. It turns out that after a while it became tiresome and a bit numbing. That's how I felt by the end of Revenge of the Fallen, tired and numb.

You could divide the action up into two categories in this movie: Explosions, and the time in between said explosions. Oh, there is a flimsy plot that sort of connects the explosions, and many of the cast from the first Transformers movie are there to run away from these explosions, but I don't count that as a significant part of the movie.

For the record, I enjoyed the original movie. One thing that I didn't like about the first film was that I found the fight scenes between the Decepticons (bad guys) and Autobots (good guys) a bit disorienting and hard to follow. Problem not solved for me in this one, and at almost 2.5 hours, I have to say after hour 1.5, I didn't really care. Just get it over with already.

Shia LaBeouf and Megan Fox reprise their roles as Sam Witwicky and Mikaela Banes, and unfortunately, Kevin Dunn and Julie White are back as Sam's parents. Their "contribution" to the plot may been the most annoying part of the film for me.

The movie is rated PG-13, and for a film that is based on a line of toys, there was plenty of unnecessary profanity and crude humor. I never understand why filmmakers need to throw that stuff in in this type of film. Spiderman is a great example of a film that made billions of dollars by appealing to both kids and adults without stooping to that level.

If you want to rent a great action film that came out about the same time this year, see my review of Star Trek. If you like mindless pyrotechnics, this is your film. I say "Don't Go."

1 comment:

Jon Graeser said...

Completely agree with the Transformers review. They needed an actual plot, less sex, better distinction between the robots (maybe some color instead of just stainless steel) and cut out about 1/2 the movie to make it watchable. Really disappointed with Transformers 2 and I think you nailed my thoughts exactly.