Sunday, April 26, 2009

Do-It-Yourself Carrie...

In a previous post, I mentioned I was modifying the mirror in the master bath. What I wanted to do was replace the medicine cabinet over the sink. It is a plain mirrored style and does not add to the craftsman ambiance of the room. After some investigating online, I decided it would be too difficult to find something that would fit in the existing cutout (for the recessed part). The type of cabinet I wanted was not cheap, either. So I opted to go the do-it-yourself route and build a frame to attach to the existing mirror. Here is the step-by-step documetation, in case you are interested.

The existing mirrored cabinet...
I started with an 8' length of stain-grade pine moulding, and cut the corners using a miter box...
Here are the finished pieces...

I applied one coat of Minwax gel stain in Walnut, then waited 3 minutes to wipe of the excess...

Here are the pieces after one coat of stain- this has to sit overnight...

I ended up applying 5 coats of gel stain and 6 coats of spray polyurethane to get the desired color.

The completed frame, ready to be installed...


The final product...

No comments: