Wednesday, July 2, 2008

Rug Love...

One would think buying a rug would be a simple process. Go to store, choose rug, take home. Last night we went to Lowe's to buy a grill. We didn't get a grill (they are all too HUGE) but we did find a rug we liked for the living room. Here's how the sequence of events unfolded...

-I ask the associate if they had this clearance rug in a 5x8. The one on display was a 8x10 but they tell us the Robinson Store (15 miles away) has 2.
-I call the Robinson store to make sure they have one before we drive over. The woman leaves for 5 mintes, comes back to the phone and says she looked and cannot find one- it must have been sold. I ask her if it's worth my time to come look for myself and she pretty much says "no", because she "looked everywhere."
-I convince Jim to go with me to Robinson and lo and behold, we find a 5x8 rug. Score. Not only do we find 1, we find 2. The computer was right. The lady was wrong. I want to find her and tell her that, but I don't.
-We take it home and love it. Score again. We like it so much, in fact, that we decide we should get the same rug, but bigger, for the dining room.
-I decide to drive back to the 1st store in the morning to buy the 8x10 that was on display.
-I get to the store this morning and the guy says the display is the only one they have but he will still sell it to me.
-He proceeds to spend 20 minutes trying to find a wrench to unbolt the rug from the display. He leaves and comes back 3 times.
-He finally gets the rug down and says, "Ok, so this is a 5x8." (it looked bigger hanging up)
-I go, "Um, I wanted an 8x10." He says he will check the computer.
-He leaves again, comes back and says the nearest 8x10 is in Stuebenville, Ohio. At least an hour away.
-He is about to leave me, but looks one other place, way up on the top shelf of another aisle, and there it is, like the Holy Grail of rugs, an 8x10, rolled up in the packaging.
-Praise the Lord, I bought the rug, stuffed it in my car (that part was fun). And thus ends the Rug Saga of 2008.

No comments: