Thursday, August 13, 2009

Website of the Week - Part Two

Ok, so in Part One of this feature, I told you about Google Reader, a way to organize all the blogs you read into one handy page. Today, I want to show you the wonder that is 'iGoogle' - the best thing to happen to the web since e-mail... in my opinion.

iGoogle is a homepage that replaces regular Google (as long as you stay signed in)- but it is so much more than Google- although the standard search bar remains. First of all, you can pick virtually any "theme" you want for your page, so it's fun to personalize it with something you love. iGoogle goes beyond Google Reader and organizes not just the blogs you read, but virtually everything you read onto one page.

You start by adding "gadgets"- iGoogle's word for all the applications you want to see on your iGoogle page. The possibilites are endless. Currently, my iGoogle page displays the following

-My Yahoo Mail account
-Facebook
-Google Reader
-My Daily To Do List
-Pittsburgh Doppler radar and 5 day forecast
-LOL Cats
-USA Today top news stories
-Bible Verse of the Day

You may wonder how this all fits on one page. Each app is neatly displayed in its own condensed box, which you can easily click on if you need to expand it for more information. But you are able to compose e-mail, post to Facebook, etc, right from the iGoogle page. You can position each box anywhere on the page so your most frequently used apps are at the top.

Want to get started? Click on the logo below to set up your account (I swear Google is not paying me for this infomerical, I just love iGoogle!)

No comments: