Sunday, August 30, 2009

Jim's Big Race...

Well it's 5K season and I thought that I would enter a few races this year, even though I've gone running probably less than 10 times since last Fall's Race for Pace. Today was the Steeler 5K. The draw of the Steeler run for me is that it starts outside at Heinz Field and finishes inside the stadium, with the runners crossing the 50 yard line. I figure my chances are slim to be doing that under any other circumstances. Plus, all of the proceeds go to the Art Rooney Scholarship Fund.

It was a beuatiful day and there were over 3000 runners this year. Former Steeler great, John Stallworth came all the way from his home in Alabama to be the Honorary Chairperson.

Once the race started, I may have paced myself a little too fast, since I felt like I was dragging most of the run. This was my first time for this race, and all that I knew about the course was that it was (thankfully) flat. We started out at the stadium and ran to the Andy Warhol Museum before circling back, then one more time around the stadium before going to PNC Park and heading back to Heinz field and the finish line.

I was able to finish in 28 minutes and 33 seconds, which I guess is not bad since I haven't had much "training time" lately. I was happy with the time and it was a great way to spend a Sunday morning in Pittsburgh. Thanks to Carrie for dragging herself out of bed on a weekend to come and along and cheer me on.

Next up, The Great Race 10K on September 27th... better start practicing!

Getting psyched up...
Waiting at the starting line...

Crossing the finish...

Post race popsicle...

1 comment:

Chris said...

Good job! Congratulations on running 10 times as far as the average American can comfortably walk ;)