Monday, January 11, 2010

Jim's "Go or Don't Go" - It Might Get Loud

A friend at work told me about this movie, and being a guitar player, I was eagerly awaiting It Might Get Loud's release to DVD.

The 2009 documentary features three guitarists from three generations, each with a very unique style. We have Led Zepplin's Jimmy Page, U2's The Edge, (AKA David Howell Evans) and the youngest of the group, Jack White from The White Stripes. The film creatively weaves the stories of each player's background and influences, and brings them together for an informal discussion and jam session.

I'm always interested in hearing artists discuss their inspiration and how the creative process works for them. The film does an excellent job of showing us the humble beginnings of each artist and where they find their creative spark. The Edge's telling of the formative years of U2 was especially fascinating – the most popular band in the world was just four high school kids getting together to practice in an empty classroom, barely able to play their instruments. Inspiration for all wanna-be rock stars.

The film tells these stories, building anticipation of seeing the three players jam together. Here's where I found the film to be a bit of a letdown. Not really much happens here. We get a few bits and pieces of the three playing, but nothing very earth-shattering. I didn't even get the impression they were very interested in each other's work, although the two younger player's seem to get a genuine kick out of watching Page crank out some of his signature licks. Maybe I was expecting too much. Realistically, what can happen when three artists, so different in style, briefly come together for the first and only time? I guess my problem was that the film leads you to believe that something earth-shattering is on the way.

Having said this, I still enjoyed It Might Get Loud, and if you are a fan of any or all of these guys, I recommend the film. If you're not, it might get boring. I say "Go."

No comments: