Tuesday, September 8, 2009

Go or Don't Go- Restaurant Edition

The one time of the week we can pretty much be guaranteed to be eating out is Sunday afternoon after church. For a while there, we had gotten in a slump of always hitting up McDonald's or Chic-fil-a or the like, and frankly, it was getting old. I told Jim he was missing a world of culinary possibilities, and despite his skeptcism, promised to find some new places for us to eat. Here's a brief rundown of the venues we've tried so far...

Kelly O's Diner - 1130 Perry Highway - North Hills
We saw this one on Food Network's 'Diners, Drive Ins and Dives' and stopped in for their recommended dish, the Haluski. It did not disappoint. It was deliciously flavored with a perfect balance of ingredients, a slight crunch and crispy bacon. Yes, this place is in a strip mall, but it has a great diner vibe. Family-run and a friendly staff. I say 'Go'

Double Wide Grill - 2339 E Carson St - Southside
I'd seen this place while strolling the Southside and was intrigued by the gas station conversion concept. When we visited, we were treated to fun atmosphere, but the enjoyment ended there. The menu features gimmicky food names, but the food itself was sub-par. I ordered a flame-grilled cheeseburger which should be hard to mess up, but it was really dry and burned. I will mention that they did have good Potato Patch style fries, which were the highlight of the meal. Even though it looks cool- the food just isn't worth it. I say 'Don't Go'.

Point Brugge Cafe - 401 Hastings Street - Point Breeze
This gem is nestled in the tiny business district of Point Breeze. Don't blink or you'll miss it. On a Sunday afternoon we had a 20 minute wait, which ended up being worth it. It was the best brunch I've had in a long time. The Mimosas were flowing and the atmosphere and patrons were upscale. I ordered the Crab Cake Eggs Benedict which was to die for. During nice weather, enjoy al fresco dining on the front terrace. This place is a keeper. I say 'Go'.

Bagel Factory - 5825 Ellsworth Ave - Shadyside
We ended up here by accident when the place we were trying to go to wasn't showing up in my GPS. Lucikly, I was not disapointed by the Lox & Cream Cheese on a bagel, which was one of the best of this entree in my memory. The lox were thick sliced, fresh, and served generously on a fresh baked bagel. There are lots of choices of cream cheese and a variety of bagel flavors, along with fresh made sandwiches and salads. Not too expensive, a good spot of a quick bite. I say 'Go'.

Square Cafe - 1137 S Braddock Ave - Regent Square
We visited this popular spot on a Saturday morning. During good weather, they set up a lot of tables out front on the sidewalk, which makes for a nice atmosphere. Jim and I both ordered breakfasts, and it's hard to note anything memorable about them except for the price. They charged Jim $2.50 to add cheese to his omlet, and my eggs/bacon/toast type plate was nothing more spectacular than you would see at Denny's with a price 3 times as high. We were not impressed, particularly once the bill came, and noted to each other that we won't be going back. I say 'Don't Go'.

Big Dog Coffee - 2717 Sarah St - Southside
You may rememeber I've talked about this place before, but I felt it was worth mentioning again. Jim and Matt played a gig here a few months ago, and we have been back multiple times since. The owners are extremely nice (their family lives upstairs from the shop). The store is really cute and offers free wi-fi. Go for a Raspberry-filled scone and the Chocolate Newf (Jim's favorite, a frappucino-like beverage made with ice cream). We'll be back. I say 'Go'.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.