Tuesday, September 29, 2009

The Great (Wet) Race...

If ever there was a perfect Sunday morning to sleep in, it was this one. I awoke at about 6:30 to the sound of steady rain hitting the roof. The bed was very comfortable and the last thing that a sane person would want to do would be to get up and run a 10K, but I dragged myself out of bed and Carrie chauffeured me off to the starting line for the 32nd annual Great Race.

***Before the race (still dry)...***
It's the largest 10K in the state and in the top 20 largest in the country. I've never run a 10K, so I've been trying to train for it for a couple of months. My hope was to be able to run the whole race without stopping/throwing up. The scenic course starts out in Frick Park and winds it's way through Squirrel Hill, down Forbes to 5th Avenue in Oakland, then to Boulevard of the Allies, finishing up at Point State Park. There were cheering supporters along the way, as well as a couple of marching bands, and of course, a guy playing accordion (it's Pittsburgh.)

***Supporters along the course***

I was glad to see the rain taper off by the time the race started, but it resumed a steady drizzle about half way in Oakland and didn't stop for the remainder of the race. I actually felt good during the whole race and was excited that I was a little over 30 minutes at the halfway point. I've been hoping to do the race in under 1 hour and 15 minutes and now thought that I may have a chance to finish under one hour (a longshot.)

***Coming in the home stretch***
There are a couple of hills on the course and some slight but long inclines, but once you get toward town, it's all downhill. At that point, I was able to pick up the pace and finished strong at 1 hour and 2 minutes and 50 seconds. Much better than expected.

***Crossing the finish line... my chip time (actual time) was a couple minutes quicker than what's reflected on the timer here...***
After the race- all wet....
For my reward, we headed off to Big Dog Coffee for a Chocolate Newf and then to Steak n' Shake for a cheeseburger meal. No need to count calories today.
Thanks to Carrie for getting up early and waiting in the rain to meet me at the finish line!

No comments: