Monday, September 14, 2009

Something Great You Can Do...

Several years ago, I joined the National Bone Marrow Donor Registry, also known as "Be the Match." I decided that if I might be able to save someone's life through a fairly simple medical procedure, I'd definitely want to. There are thousands of adults and children with leukemia who are looking for a bone marrow donor to save their life.

The process to join the registry is simple, and can be either done at your local blood bank through a regular blood donation or via mail with a cheek swab kit. An option for pregnant women (who are not able to donate bone marrow), is to donate umbilical cord blood.

There is no cost to you at any point during the process and you are under no obligation to donate, even if it is determined that you are a match for someone. So far, I have not matched anyone, but it could happen at any time and I hope I'll be able to help when the time comes!

Click below to join the registry or get more info, and please let me know if you decide to join!

No comments: